Thursday, August 30, 2012

Taking a Look at FanGraphs Pitcher WAR

For those of you that read FanGraphs you will know that they released some new statistics for pitchers. If you aren't aware of them I will give you the three links. New Stats Revealed, Fielding Dependent Pitching, and Pitcher War/FDP. Before Tuesday, FanGraphs only offered pitcher WAR until 1976 (I believe) but now they have it all the way back to when major league baseball started. This isn't really going to be a long post, but more after the jump!




I took the top twenty pitchers of all-time and looked at their fWAR as well as their bWAR. There were a couple of surprises, in my case anyway. I knew Bert Blyleven was good, but I didn't realize that he had the seventh most fWAR. He's definitely one of the more underrated pitchers in the game's history. Nolan Ryan had a huge difference in his fWAR and bWAR and that surprised me as well. Steve Carlton also had a significant difference in his fWAR and bWAR. On the other hand Lefty Grove is the complete opposite. This graph is fun to look at to see how big (or little) the differences are between the two. For further reading head over to FanGraphs or Baseball Reference

No comments:

Post a Comment